a
t
i
r
Tontin Tontin
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
i would like to know the chemistry of the differences between alpha and beta decay with examples. Also i would like to know how nuclear fission reactions differ from radioactive decay.
Read 380 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Basically,

Alpha decay occurs when a nucleus (of an atom) gives off 2 protons and 2 neutrons.

In Beta Decay, a neutron converts into a proton, and then releases an electron.

(Remember that neutrons have no charge, which means they are consisted of protons (+) and electrons (-) to form a neutral charge.)
wrote...
11 years ago
salters chem open-book by any chance??

I think the main difference is the type of radioactive particles which are emitted e.g. alpha particle/helium nuclei for alpha-decay and beta particle/electron for beta-decay. in alpha-decay the nucleus disintegrates, and in beta-decay the nucleus is converted...
Also alpha-decay is meant to occur in heavier elements.  

For the second bit: natural radioactive decay occurs naturally due to an unstable nucleus, but nuclear fission doesn't occur naturally. The nucleus of the element has to be hit by a neutron before fission can occur. on earth this is slow and spontaneous, so fission is usually artificially induced.

hope this helps
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1262 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion