× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
parkmel parkmel
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
It has a resting membrane potential of -70mV. The threshold potential of this neuron is -55mV. What would the response of the neuron be to a stimulus that results in a membrane potential of -40mV?

I know that the sodium gates would open and the potassium gates would close. Thus increasing the membrane potential. I don't understand what will happen though once the membrane potential goes past the threshold.Any help will be greatly appreciated  Slight Smile
Read 764 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
parkmel, what did you figure out about this?
Sunshine ☀ ☼
parkmel Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I figured out that the stimulus would cause the sodium gates to open, allowing the sodium to flow into the membrane (resulting in a more positive membrane potential). Once the membrane potential hit threshold (-55 mV), the sodium flooded in, bringing the charge all the way up to -40 mV. The process from hitting the threshold all the way to the -40 mV membrane potential is referred to as depolarization. After this repolarization would occur as the membrane would go back down to resting membrane potential...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1136 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 300