m
p
m
f
leeo2014 leeo2014
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
For action potentials to be generated the membrane has to reach a threshold potential right? Which means it has to become slightly more positive. How does that happen prior to sodium channels opening? (i.e. it depolarizes (-50mV) before the action potential causes further depolarization...so what depolarizes it in the first place?)
Read 453 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Acetylcholine or a neurotransmitter depolarizes the membrane
wrote...
11 years ago
A stimulus causes "small" sodium channels to open slightly,
allowing sodium ions to "dribble" into the neuron.  

When the indribbling sodium ions make the inside positive enough to reach the threshold potential, the voltage-regulated sodium channels open, sodium ions "rush" in, and the impulse begins.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm not sure this is precisely true for all other kinds of neurons, but this holds for cholinergic neurons.

The presynaptic neuron releases acetylcholine into the synapse when an action potential reaches the axon terminal. This acetylcholine binds to acetycholine receptors on the postsynaptic neuron.

The acetylcholine receptors are actually ligand-gated sodium channels. That is, when acetylcholine binds, the channel opens and sodium diffuses in down its concentration gradient and slightly depolarizes the neuron. Only when there is enough acetylcholine released into the synapse (i.e. the stimulus is strong enough) does the membrane potential reach threshold, at which point the voltage-gated sodium channels open and sodium floods in, leading to the characteristic depolarization of an action potential.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  964 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 395