i
d
d
J
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
The nurse is caring for patient who has been diagnosed with an altered mycogenic mechanism of the renal blood vessels. The patient asks, “Why is it so important that I treat my hypertension and keep my blood pressure within normal limits?” The nurse’s best response is which of the following?
1. “Your kidneys may have difficulty protecting themselves from high blood pressure.”
2. “Your blood pressure medication is toxic to your kidneys in high doses.”
3. “If not controlled, the condition will require an indwelling urinary catheter.”
4. “High blood pressure increases your risk for kidney stones.”
Read 416 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1 -- The myogenic mechanism, which responds to pressure changes in the renal blood vessels, controls the diameter of the afferent arterioles to achieve autoregulation. An increase in systemic blood pressure causes the renal vessels to constrict, whereas a decrease in blood pressure causes the afferent arterioles to dilate. These changes adjust the glomerular hydrostatic pressure and, indirectly, maintain the GFR. An alteration in this system exposes the kidneys to pressures that are too high for proper long term kidney function. Option 2 does not address the patient’s question. Option 3 and 4 are incorrect.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  893 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 335