t
i
r
microbeman microbeman
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Hi again,

This is from Microbiology: An Intro 10th ed. by Tortora, Funke, Case. Check Your Understanding Ch. 2, p. 41:

How do simple lipids differ from complex lipids?

Grinning Face
Read 11466 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Simple lipids (fats) consist of a molecule of glycerol and three molecules of fatty acids, whereas things like steroids don't.
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Simple lipids (fats) consist of a molecule of glycerol and three molecules of fatty acids, whereas things like steroids don't.

That was simple...thanks.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago

That was simple...thanks.

Simplicity is key Wink Face
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
In addition to the C, H, and O of simple lipids, complex lipids may also contain P, N, and S.

Complex lipids are called phospholipids and contain a glycerol, 2 fatty acids, and, instead of a 3rd fatty acid chain, a phosphate group bonded to an orgainc group.

Complex lipids also have a polar (phosphate group + glycerol) and nonpolar region (fatty acid tails)
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Just one more note to add:

steroids are structurally very different from lipids (4 interconnected carbon rings rather than a glycerol with fatty acid tails (simple lipids) or glycerol with fatty acid tails and a phosphate group (complex lipids).

Cheers!
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Examples of simple lipids are saturated and unsaturated fats; complex lipid examples are waxes, glycolipids, and phospholipids.

Edit to two posts above, as it's wrongly worded. I wrote:

"Complex lipids are called phospholipids and contain a glycerol, 2 fatty acids, and, instead of a 3rd fatty acid chain, a phosphate group bonded to an orgainc group."

It should be...

Complex lipids called phospholipids contain a glycerol, 2 fatty acids, and, instead of a 3rd fatty acid chain, a phosphate group bonded to an orgainc group.

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Thanks for the update, microbeman, I guess there was more that needed to be added, nice.
microbeman Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for the update, microbeman, I guess there was more that needed to be added, nice.

Nice, but no longer simple. Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago

Nice, but no longer simple. Slight Smile

True lol well let us know if you need more help.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
Related Images