a
t
i
r
sliss14 sliss14
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am having trouble understanding my AP Biology homework, I hope someone can help me Slight Smile

16.   If populations within a common area split into species, the process is known as
A.   sympatric speciation.
B.   allopatric speciation.
C.   racial speciation.
D.   ecotypical speciation.
E.   reproductive speciation.

25.   The isolating mechanism that prevents hybridization between horses and donkeys is
A.   behavioral.
B.   prevention of gamete fusion.
C.   prezygotic.
D.   postzygotic.
E.   natural selection.

Thank you!

Read 892 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

sliss14 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank You!
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Thank You!

You're welcome.
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank You!

You're welcome.

You could be wrong for 22 Confounded Face

"Hybrid sterility: This is a type of a postzygotic isolating mechanism. For example, the mule is a hybrid between a donkey and a horse or pony. The diploid chromosome number in the donkey is 62 and in the horse or pony it is 64. The mule therefore has 63 chromosomes and is infertile."

I'm saying it's D.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Ok, thanks for pointing that out Smiling Face with Glasses
wrote...
11 years ago
16)A 25)D I have a test on this today! Yeah sympatric speciation is when you have organisms in the same area but split into species due to some reason. The garter snake comes to mind, which has two similar species but one lives in the water and one lives on land so they can't interbreed. Temporal isolation, pre/postzygotic isolation, mechanical isolation are some other potential reasons. 25 is D because Horses and Donkeys can breed mules, but the mules are sterile, so its a postzygotic barrier.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204