a
t
i
r
ask4help ask4help
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I always thought this was the case, but now my pharmacology teacher is saying otherwise.  She's says that we have the same amount of melanin, but the melanin in lighter skinned people is closer to their cells so it is not as visible.  And the melanin in darker skinned people is spread out, and that is why they appear darker in colour.  So what is the truth?
Read 547 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I think that they have kinkier hair but I'm not sure on the melanin.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yeah she's right. The fact that the melanin is closer to the surface on the cells (melanocytes) makes it more susceptible to genetic mutation so they are more likely to develop melanoma (skin cancer)
wrote...
11 years ago
yes darker people have more melanin than lighter skinned people
wrote...
11 years ago
As a hair colourist, I have to deal with Melanin pigments every day.  It is not that fair people or dark people have more or less melanin pigments than the other, they simply have DIFFERENT types of pigment  Darker pigments are an abundance of melanin specifically called Euomelanin, while lighter pigments are in abundance of Pheomelanin.  Neither has more or less, just different types of Melanin is all.  While this is coming from a hair stylist pigments are pigments whether they are skin or hair, doesn't matter the rule and types are the same.  Hope that helps
wrote...
Donated
11 years ago
Yes. Melanin is what makes them darker... Example: Black hair contains a lot of melanin compared to light brown.
Prism
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1349 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370