K
g
L
w
datha datha
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I understand a utility meter measures energy consumed and I also understand energy is the product of power and time. I also know the meter measures energy in KWh which leads me to think that it is associated with the real power (KW) of the home. My questions are
A) if indeed the meter takes into account the real power P and not complex power S Does it mean that the utility companies don't charge consumers(ie negligible) for the energy due to the reactive power Q and how small could it be for an average home?

B)Also, If it does take into account the complex power,  is the KWh therefore just conventional for metering purposes .
Note: This is for residential and commercial Energy Usage and not industrial for now please .
I'll really appreciate any informed responses and will ask other questions based on the answers  of the two above
Read 401 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
In the USA and probably most other places, only real power is measured and billed for residential service. The reactive power is not necessarily negligible, but the proportion of reactive power in likely similar for all residential customers. The utility considers the cost associated with reactive power when setting the price for real power.

Commercial customers may be billed in the same way as residential customers or they may be billed using measuring and calculation methods the same or similar to those used for industrial customers.

Note that all classes of customers may have some fixed charges and different rates according to amount of usage, season and time of day.
wrote...
11 years ago
All power companies have their own method for how they charge for reactive power consumption.

You would have to call your individual power company to see how they handle getting compensated for reactive power costs
i.e. ".Utilities charge for reactive power in a countless number of ways. Some utilities charge for kvar demand, while others charge a strait fee for a power factor less than their target. To fully understand the benefits of NEPSI's shunt capacitor and harmonic filters, you must acquire your electric billing rate structure. This rate structure will describe how cost for poor power factor are added to your monthly bills. If you need assistance in calculating your pay-back periods, feel free to contact our nearest factory trained sales representatives or just call Northeast Power Systems, Inc......
66 Carey Road
Queensbury, New York 12804
Phone: 518-792-4776
Fax: 518-792-5767"
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1055 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336