a
t
i
r
rivertube rivertube
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
Suppose an astronaut in outer space suddenly discovers that the tether connecting her to the space shuttle is cut and she is slowly drifting away from the shuttle. Assuming that she is wearing a tool belt holding several wrenches, how can she move herself back toward the shuttle?
Read 924 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
use the same motion you'd use when your swimming to get back to the shuttle. But i'm sure they have some sort of "jet pack" on their suit that prevents this from happening.
wrote...
11 years ago
If she tied a bit of rope
to a wrench.......I think theres hope
she must quickly throw away the tool
towards the ship would be the rule
now ......if she pulls along the cord
she d find herself soon back on board..!!
wrote...
11 years ago
Newton can help.  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

By throwing the tools in the direction opposite the shuttle, the reaction of the tools acceleration would be toward the shuttle.  Since the astronaut is providing the action of accelerating the tool she must absorb the reaction and would be accelerated toward the shuttle.

In the real world, she would get on comm link, call the shuttle and it would either go get her, use the arm to retrieve her or send another astronaut out either on a tether or a MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) to retrieve her.

Personally I like the real world better, the odds of getting back by throwing tools is pretty slim.  The slightest misdirection of the throw could complicate matters severely.

Cheers

GIMP
wrote...
11 years ago
Throw the tools in the direction away from the shuttle, along the line that passes through both you and the shuttle.
The answer to life, universe and everything is 42 Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1411 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274