a
t
i
r
BearPro Author
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Thanks Smiling Face with Open Mouth but that went just right over my head Face with Rolling Eyes

I guess I will have to display recent board news selecting the board  I will be using for questions and answers.

I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
You could probably modify it to fit your needs, I suppose, but I'm unsure since 2.0 is slightly different than 1.x. Hmm...
BearPro Author
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
ok bio_man
thanks for the help.
would let you know what i came up with.

Ask Me Maths Questions

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
ok bio_man
thanks for the help.

I do want to see the end result. What's this forum for? Is it science-related? What are your goals for starting?
BearPro Author
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
ok bio_man
thanks for the help.

I do want to see the end result. What's this forum for? Is it science-related? What are your goals for starting?

I just want to put up a place for discussing and asking questions and answers related to mathematics.
smf with its less page loading time has been the best option for me. Earlier tried to do it with wordpress and Disquss comment system but the speed and flexibility smf offers is far above what is offered anywhere by any free software.
http://www.question2answer.org/
this is perfect open source solution for asking questions and answers. But slow loading times and  the support threads are also not so active as smf.

THe dictionary feature that I wanted to incorporate was to help people memorize certain words that are essential to excel in some B School exams(in India)

so my requirements were.

1.) to put up a place to discuss the tutorials prepared by me.
2.) to put up a discussion platform where people with same interests can interact.(queries related to exams and preparation)
3.) to put up a platform to enable users ask questions and answers related to a particular subject.
4.) to put up a dictionary feature (very similar to what you have on biology-forums) to enable memorizing those words easily.

that is all my as far as goals for starting are concerned.
smf with its awesome support and flexibility has been the best choice for me.

Ask Me Maths Questions

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
wow, that's an amazing piece of software: http://www.question2answer.org/ and I think it's excellent for your question / answer needs. Do you know if it is open source? Also, are you planning on monetizing your website?
BearPro Author
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
wow, that's an amazing piece of software: http://www.question2answer.org/ and I think it's excellent for your question / answer needs. Do you know if it is open source? Also, are you planning on monetizing your website?

it is 100% open source. for monetizing too they have custom html to be put around some specific places.
The only downside is that the support is not so good as smf and slower page loading times.
It can be achieved (what they are offering )through smf,provided I can configure the forum correctly.

Ask Me Maths Questions

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
but, are you planning on monetizing your smf website?
BearPro Author
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
but, are you planning on monetizing your smf website?

I will only run google ads. And to do that, it takes around 6 months to get it approved in India and China.

Ask Me Maths Questions

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1261 People Browsing
Related Images