t
i
r
r
firecommon firecommon
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I just wanted to know reasons why genetic modifications in crops are needed and why we can't just use traditional breeding methods. If you could give me some reasons, that would be great.
Read 238 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The modification of the DNA structures of agricultural crops can increase the growth rates and even resistance to different diseases caused by pathogens and parasites. This is extremely beneficial as it can greatly increase the production of food sources with the usage of fewer resources that would be required to host the world's growing populations. These modified crops would also reduce the usage of chemicals, such as fertilizers and pesticides, and therefore decrease the severity and frequency of the damages produced by these chemical pollution.

Genetic engineering can also increase the genetic diversity of species populations, especially those that are classified as being endangered. Increase in genetic diversity would enabled these organisms to evolve more efficiently that would allow better adaptation to the ecosystems they inhabit. It would also reduce the vulnerability of certain diseases produced by pathogens, as well as decrease the risk of inbreeding that would produce infertile youths. Genetic engineering can be performed to increase to the efficiency of the ecosystem services provided by the other organisms. For example, the modification of a tree's genes could perhaps increase the root systems of these organisms reduce the damage produced by flood phenomena through flood mitigation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1168 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images