m
K
g
L
w
firebird39 firebird39
wrote...
11 years ago
I live in the northeast and I'm thinking about getting into growing for the farmers market. What might be some good selling crops?

I am considering corn even though it is a heavy nitrogen feeder, everybody likes it. What else? When you go to a farmers market what are you looking for?
Read 343 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
asophogus Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I always look for something fruity when I'm at a farmers market.
I'm rather partial to a prickly pear or two, but am willing to try anything on offer as long as it's fresh, of meaty texture, and is rather well hung.
wrote...
11 years ago
Early tomatoes , if you grow them in a hoophouse and sell before most everybody else you can make good money.  Green peppers too they are a buck a piece sometimes in the off season.  You can make a mini hoophouse fairly cheap. Lots of plans are out there.   If you are selling in a college town with students from other cultures, baby corn and snow peas are ok but it depends on the demographics.  Unless you have them early, cucumbers and zuchinni can hardly be given away when everybody else  has them.  
Another product you might consider is potted plants, tomatoes, peppers, flowers, for people that want to start their own garden.

For the later season pumpkins (do not plant too early or they rot before halloween) and butternut squash and other winter squash (has the advantage of little perishability problems).

Good luck!
asolow2 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Anything you can manage to grow organically.  You can really charge a premium for that.  

My nephew made pretty good money with a half acre.  I don't remember everything he grew, but I'm sure there were sweet and hot peppers, and new potatoes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  975 People Browsing
Related Images