k
m
c
o
drthsideous drthsideous
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Found this site randomly, bioman seems to be pretty popular.  Very nice community. I look forward to helping.  I got stumped on this short answer question.  I know how many small patches are beneficial, but I don't see how one large piece (as far as metapopulation) can be good.  Here is the official question, and thanks for the help.

For many years, the conservation community debated whether, with a given amount of funding, it would be better to conserve one large patch of land or several smaller patches. Describe situations in which each of those options might be better, justifying your answer based on metapopulation theory.
Source  Simutext
Read 6406 times
5 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
bbb,  doug007,  beatmode6,  xazian,  doole90
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science

Related Topics

drthsideous Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, drthsideous
Basically I'm thinking that many small patches is desirable because while one or a few patches may go extinct at any given time, the likelihood of all patches going extinct is small.  Hence there will always be other patches to rescue those that go extinct through dispersion. And this in turn would promote greater genetic diversity.  One large patch could also be desirable because that one large patch (assuming it is stable) could than become a source for future sink populations.  And in turn once those sink populations become stable they themselves could become source populations.

this forum is great, I wish they had stuff like this when I was originally in school years ago. 
Post Merge: 11 years ago

I have also noticed a huge abundance of pesticide questions in the env't and conservation section.  It's not something I really ever studied being wildlife and conservation biology.  But wow, there are tons of them.
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Glad I could help.

Here's a lecture of mine from four years ago. It's really helpful in this topic too and talks about the effects of fragmentation.

What you've written so far is quite good too!
 Attached file 
(2456.9 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
10 years ago
Hi Slight Smile

wrote...
10 years ago

This should definitely get best answer Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  823 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 215