t
i
r
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
The wife of a patient who is scheduled for a radical prostatectomy calls the clinic to ask the nurse if this impending surgery is going to affect “their sex life.” What is the nurses’ most appropriate response?
1. “The incidence of sexual dysfunction varies considerably among patients having this surgery. Why don’t you and your husband make an appointment so we can discuss this together?”
2. “No, it shouldn’t, but you need to talk to the surgeon. You should come to the office when you can.”
3. “I can’t answer any of your questions without first talking to your husband. Have him call me so I can get his permission.”
4. “Don’t worry; the hospital staff will review everything with you the morning of your husband’s surgery.”
Read 377 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1 -- Surgical treatment of prostate disorders may cause ED and changes in ejaculatory function. Hormone therapy, a possible diagnosis of cancer, body image changes, fear of the effects of treatment on sexual health and reactions to the surgery are all important considerations and may affect sexual performance. It is important to know the patient’s pretreatment sexual function, teach about the effects of therapy on sexual function, and offer the opportunity for the patient and his partner to discuss their concerns about sexual health. Therefore Option 1 is the most appropriate choice. The nurse cannot know if sexual health will be affected so Option 2 is inappropriate. HIPPA guidelines should be followed as in Option 3, but this response does not address the wife’s concerns, express the nurse’s concerns or allow the nurse to offer the support to the wife. Option 4 is true, but addressing the wife’s concerns should not be delayed.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1213 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293