s
b
c
R
bufi bufi
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Why do atheists think popularity and majorities (which is what they mean when they use words like society) have the right to use fear to cause us to submit to it? If our own conscience allows us to do something should it be considered moral and not be judged for it?
If our conscience allows us to do it why should we be judged by anyone or anything?
Read 653 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Majorities = Christians
Fear of punishment = Hell
Indoctrination = Religion

Were you saying something about atheists?
wrote...
11 years ago
What you are describing is the opposite of a society.

Society: A group of humans broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions, and a common culture.

Your question is the equivalent of : What if water wasn't wet?
wrote...
11 years ago
Almost seems as if you are looking to get away with murder or something.
"Society" has the right to use punishment for one who is being a wretched person towards other people.
wrote...
11 years ago
Nobody has the right and there is a God.  But, people should decide for themselves.
wrote...
11 years ago
Pithiki read my mind.

"If our conscience allows us to do it why should we be judged by anyone or anything?"

Well, that's what morality is. Society works on ethical principles, not subjective morality. You can live by your own personal morals just as long as they don't interfere with the ethics that govern society.
wrote...
11 years ago
Society had NO right to try to brainwash us with fear. I think what the Christians and other religions have done to god is terrible. They make him seem vengeful, judgemental, and mean. I wish I could help everyone understand that a being of pure love would never exhibit such terrible characteristics, including an eternal damnation.
wrote...
11 years ago
Society in general uses a majority rule, it does not have to be right, they just do it that way.
wrote...
11 years ago
At the very least it's called mob rule. However, compliance with "society" brings more benefit to the individual than living alone.  And by alone I mean no contact with others, even over the computer.  

Also, you're overlooking the very real fact that even without the guidelines decreed by a diety, humans (and other mammals) get great satisfaction out of helping others and being nice.
wrote...
11 years ago
If God does not exist with authority to make objective moral laws, then life is an absurd, mindless, purposeless accident, and no action is good or bad. Darwinists describe life in this way as a contest for the survival of the fittest, where force is used against others as a survival mechanism. Officially atheists nations under communism imposed totalitarian dictatorships during the 20th century and killed about 100 million people to make the rest fearful and obedient to the rulers.

If God does exist, then he endows us with rights and freedoms that are inalienable. Government is needed to establish justice and enforce some moral laws, in particular, those that cause harm or endanger other people. Enforcing the laws require punishments commensurate with the crimes.

Cheers,
Bruce
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  976 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587