a
t
i
r
barathvaj barathvaj
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, barathvaj
I've read about heart anatomy and physiology last week, While reading i saw a point stating that " 10th cranial nerve in brain decreases heart beat by inducing the SN node (Sino auriculor Node) while T1-T5 nerves in spinal cord increases the heart beat by inducing the SN node" .what my question and confusion is "when heart beats faster (while nervousness,etc) cranial or vagus nerve will decrease the heart beat and make it normal. As well as when heart beats slow, spinal cord nerves increase heart beats n make it normal. so then which n what is controling the heart at normal heart beat rate?". plz make me clear out of it. if what i've told is wrong,plz give me exact and clear information on heart beat regulation of human heart
Read 2924 times
9 Replies
~Bv ram~I'm a student for all those who teaches
Replies
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Hey, welcome to the forum...

Electrical activity of the heart is regulated by the Sinus node, the AV Node, the bundle of His, the right and left bundle branches, and finally the Purkinje Fibers, in that order. Then the heart muscle contracts, producing the systolic BP. When the heart is relaxed, the diastolic pressure is produced.

That said, it's the 10th Cranial Nerve which is associated with the vagus nerve. Parasympathetic stimulation decreases heart rate, which reduces blood pressure. The right vagus nerve is said to operate on the SN, and the left vagus nerve upon the AV Node. Motor = efferent (slows down the heart). Moreover, the thoracic spinal nerves - T1-T5 are associated with sympathetic stimulation. In sympathetic stimulation, heart rate increases via vasoconstriction, which increases blood pressure. Sensory = afferent (speeds up the heart).

Does that clear things up?
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
little bit confused still bcoz i know all this b4 ur reply. .
Can u or any one state me the clear "electrical activity of heart"?
And Give me a explanation about the vagus nerve ,T1-T5 nerves role in electrical activity. .then plz clear my big doubt Neutral Face when those nerves involve in regulation of heart beat? and Did this nerves contolling electrical activity of heart always ? ? plz clear this
wrote...
12 years ago
Well it depends on what you already know. For example, do you know that the heart's rhythm of contraction is controlled by the sinoatrial node (SA node also know as the pacemaker)? This node is part of the heart's intrinsic conduction system, which is made up of specialized myocardial cells called nodal cells.

What is incredible is is that the heart will beat without input from the nervous system and will continue to beat, even outside the body, as long as its cells are alive. The automatic nature of the heartbeat is referred to as automaticity and automaticity is due to the spontaneous electrical activity of the SA node. Electrical impulses generated from the SA node spread through the heart via a nodal tissue pathway that coordinates the events of the cardiac cycle.

wrote...
12 years ago
while T1-T5 nerves in spinal cord increases the heart beat by inducing the SN node

You stated this, so would you like to know how the SN node works?
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks a lot for the explanation. .thanks a lot . .ya i would like to know that
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Remember this:

Impulses pass through the autorhythmic cardiac cells in the following order:

sinoatrial nodes Rightwards Arrow activates internodal pathway Rightwards Arrow atrioventricular node Rightwards Arrow bundle of His Rightwards Arrow left and right bundle branches Rightwards Arrow Purkinje fibers

This is the  order for conveying electrical signals through a normal heart. The autonomic nervous system modifies the heartbeat: the sympathetic center increases rate and depth of the heartbeat, and the parasympathetic center slows the heartbeat.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Ya got it . .another question regarding this..if heart have capacity to beat by its own,Then Y The autonomic nervous system need to regulate it ? if u can clear this . .
wrote...
12 years ago
the exact answer to the above question is that"both the sympathetic and parasympathetic stimulation are necessary to act simultanously on heart,when both of these work together the heart rate will not be so high and not v.low,it will be at normal level"
Answer accepted by topic starter
barathvaj Authorbarathvaj
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free