b
c
R
c
lej2523 lej2523
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I know that for things like a pressure change in the system etc there is not a change in the equilibrium constant so why is there a change in the equilibrium constant if there is a temperature change in the system. This comes under the chapter for Le Chateliers principles
Read 350 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, bio_man
Let's look at the effect of temperature changes from a Le Chatelier perspective. I'll use a simple exothermic reaction at equilibrum:

A ---> B + heat

Increase the temperature and the reaction responds by moving the position of equilibrium back to the left (increasing the conc of A and decreasing the conc of B).

Now, look at the consequences of the effect on the K.

K = [ B] / [A]

Adding the heat caused the value of the numerator to go down and the value of the denominator to go up. The net effect is to cause the value of the K to go down.

If I were to decrease the temperature, the opposite to the above would happen. (You may explore the consequences on an endothermic reaction on your own).

The reason for this is that there is not a term in the K equation for the heat, so an inc/dec in temp in the reaction is not compensated for in the equilibrium constant equation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  846 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?