p
n
C
z
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Can anyone please explain to me the difference between invasive species, and exotic species? I cannot seem to distinguish between them =) Thank you
Read 884 times
1 Reply
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
invasive species, and exotic species

Could mean the same thing actually, but slightly different in my books:

Invasive species are usually species that have been introduced into an ecosystem that is other than their own. While all species compete to survive, invasive species appear to have specific traits or specific combinations of traits that allow them to outcompete native species. In some cases the competition is about rates of growth and reproduction.

Exotic species are those organisms introduced into habitats where they are not native. Invasive exotic species are organisms not native to a region, and whose introduction causes economic or environmental harm or harm to human health. In their natural habitats, these organisms developed stable populations and complex relationships with other species. When removed from the predators, parasites, diseases and competitors that have kept their numbers in check, species introduced into new habitats often overrun their new home and crowd out native species. Once established, exotic species can rarely be eliminated.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1021 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352