a
t
i
r
Violagirl Violagirl
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
You are studying a receptor tyrosine kinase and want to investigate the nature of the
autophosphorylation of this protein. To do this, you construct three forms of the receptor in an
expression vector: 1) a normal form with an active kinase domain and one tyrosine that is
phosphorylated upon activation, 2) a “kinase-dead” mutant that is larger than wildtype and carries an
inactivating mutation in the kinase domain, and 3) a truncated form that has an active kinase domain
but is missing the tyrosine residue (see Figure below). You express these forms in a cell line that
lacks expression of this receptor (that is, there is no endogenous receptor at the plasma membrane in
these cells). To test whether cis or trans phosphorylation occurs, you express the forms singly and in
pairs (see lanes on gel below). You then treat these cells with ligand and radioactive ATP (32P on the
γ-P) and then immunoprecipitate the receptor proteins from a cell extract. You analyze expression of
the receptors by immunoblotting with an antibody that recognizes all three forms of the receptor and
you detect phosphorylation by autoradiography. Your expression results are shown in the first blow on the attached document.

What would you expect of the autoradiography results in the receptor autophosphorylates in trans (cross-phosphorylation) and then in cis (phosphorylation of same molecule)?

Essentially, I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem. I couldn't find a lot in my book about it so any clarification would be really appreciated.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 1161 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Hi Violagirl, any ideas so far on how to tackle this?
Violagirl Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi Bioman,

I ended up not being able to fully figure it out. I think that to be trans, the kinase domain of a normally functioning receptor would come into contact with another receptor that at least has a normally functioning receptor as well, even if the ligand portion of the receptor is missing on one as the other has a normally functioning receptor. However, I did not know what to do or how to show the cis configuration, that really stumped me. I ended up turing in the assignment with my best guess but I'm still not fully sure.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
I ended up turing in the assignment with my best guess but I'm still not fully sure.

That sucks, sorry couldn't help. Let us know if you get the solution to it.
Violagirl Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thanks bio_man! I did get a solution to it today, maybe you can help me make sense of it?

For trans, you would see a band on A and for A and C. For cis, you would the exact same bands as you would in trans. Is it because you have a mutant receptor, that it technically wouldn't react to the ligand so it then wouldn't activate its tyrosine kinase domain and be able to cross-phosphorylate?
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Its been a while lol Here's what I know:

Activation occurs as a result of ligand-induced receptor dimerization. Each kinase domain catalyzes phosphorylation of its partner. The phosphorylated dimer can catalyze phosphorylation of various target proteins.

2 extracellular α chains, each with an insulin-binding site, are linked to two transmembrane β chains, each with a cytosolic tyrosine kinase domain. Following insulin binding to the α chains, the tyrosine kinase domain of each β chain catalyzes autophosphorylation of tyrosine residues in the adjacent kinase domain.

The tyrosine kinase domains also catalyze the phosphorylation of proteins called insulin-receptor substrates (IRSs).

A single growth-hormone molecule interacts with the extracellular domain of two receptors. The binding of one hormone molecule to two receptors leads to the formation of a receptor dimer. Dimerization is a key step in this signal-transduction pathway.

I think your understanding is correct.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1211 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion