t
i
r
r
jazb jazb
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Can anyone help me with this i did the experiment but i am not really understanding the questions.

Pepsin Experiment  Follow the instructions in the Lab Instruction Worksheet for Activity 3, fill in the table, and answer the accompanying questions.

Treatment   Reagent 1   Reagent 2   Reagent 3   Boiled   Optical Density
1   pH 2.0 buffer   BAPNA   Pepsin   +   0.0
2   pH 2.0 buffer   BAPNA   Pepsin   -   0.40
3   pH 2.0 buffer   Water   Pepsin   -   0.0
4   pH 2.0 buffer   BAPNA   Water   -   0.0
5   pH 7.0 buffer   BAPNA   Pepsin   -   0.03
6   pH 9.0 buffer   BAPNA   Pepsin   -   0.0

Write the number of the treatment that is intended to show that the BAPNA used in the experiment was intact, rather than degraded into small fragments. ____________________

Based on the treatments in this experiment, what is the pH optimum of pepsin? _____________

When stomach contents enter the duodenum, the pH is neutralized by secretion of bicarbonate (HCO3-).  What happens to the activity of pepsin under these conditions?

Lipase Experiment  Follow the instructions in the Lab Instruction Worksheet for Activity 4, fill in the table, and answer the accompanying questions.

Treatment   Reagent 1   Reagent 2   Reagent 3   Reagent 4   pH
1   pH 7.0 buffer   Bile Salts   Veg. Oil   Lipase   6.21
2   pH 7.0 buffer   Water   Veg. Oil   Lipase   6.72
3   pH 9.0 buffer   Bile Salts   Water   Lipase   9.00
4   pH 7.0 buffer   Bile Salts   Veg. Oil   Water   7.00
5   pH 2.0 buffer   Bile Salts   Veg. Oil   Lipase   2.0
6   pH 9.0 buffer   Bile Salts   Veg. Oil   Lipase   8.97

Based on the results above, which statement about lipase is correct?  1) Lipase is fully active at pH 9.0, 2) Lipase is partially active at pH 9.0, 3) Lipase is completely inactive at pH 9.0 _______________________

As you perform the experiment, note that vegetable oil does not mix with the aqueous solution initially, but it does so after mixing and incubating for all but one treatment.  What component of the reaction allows the oil to mix with the aqueous solution? _________________________

Compare treatments 1 and 2.  Why is the pH of treatment 1 lower than the pH of treatment 2?

Read 757 times
2 Replies