k
s
P
i
snowflake snowflake
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
For example, feathers could be a recessive trait, and all birds have that recessive trait and will never NOT have feathers, because the dominant trait of not having feathers is not in their family. But then a lizard doesn't have feathers, because they have the dominant gene that keeps them from having feathers.

Does anyone have an example of this happening for real?
Read 292 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Bronze Member
11 years ago
Peppered Moths- before the 1900s most of them were white and then after the industrial revolution most of them became black, as the trees they were on got darker from the soot and so more birds could find and eat the white ones. They returned to white again when the soot started to decrease when cleaner energy was produced.
wrote...
11 years ago
That's a horrible, horrible example, not least because "feathers" is not "a trait", and "birds" and "lizards" are so distantly related as to make any such comparison meaningless.

Anyway, there are lots of examples of recessive traits being more common - dominant/recessive has nothing at all to do with how common a trait is.  Polydactyly - having more than five fingers/toes on each limb - is dominant, but very very rare.  The trick is to figure out which allele was the ancestral version.  In other words, you're looking for an instance where the dominant allele was around first, then the recessive allele arose through mutation and spread through the population.  I'm sure there are tons of examples - there's nothing whatsoever to prevent such a thing happening - but I can't think of one offhand.  Eye color might work in Northern European populations - dark eyes are dominant and ancestral, while most people in those populations have blue, light eyes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1137 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?