t
i
r
r
i_love_science i_love_science
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago
What is the difference between production efficiency and trophic efficiency?

Also, I don't understand this: "Trophic efficiencies must always be less than production efficiencies, because they take into account not only the energy lost though respiration and contained in feces, but also the energy in organic material in a lower trophic level that is not consumed by the next trophic level."

Thanks!
Read 562 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
Production efficiency is the percentage of energy that is not used for respiration, but stored in assimilated food. Trophic efficiency is the percentage of energy transferred from one trophic level to the next.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi i_love_biology, I know which textbook you're using. I believe it is Campbell's Biology. Anyway, as per the reference, the production efficiency is the percentage of energy stored in food that is used for growth and reproduction of the organism eating it, not respiration.

If a caterpillar feeds on 200 J of energy, for example, production efficiency is 33% if 100 J went to waste as feces and only 33 joules went into growth of the caterpillar. Birds and mammals typically have low production efficiencies, in the range of 1–3%, because they use so much energy in maintaining a constant, high body temperature. Fishes, which are mainly ectothermic, have production efficiencies around 10%. Insects and microorganisms are even more efficient, with production efficiencies averaging 40% or more.

Trophic efficiency deals with the flow of energy through trophic levels, whereas production efficiency deals with individual consumers.

What gets transferred from one tropic level to the next is the growth, biomass of the organisms. The organism as you learned already isn't efficient in incorporating all it eats into its growth, so you have to consider that, on top of the energy lost from one level to the next.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1305 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?