k
m
c
o
darrellh77 darrellh77
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
For my chemistry experiment, I am testing the effect of different concentrations of catalyst on reaction mechanism. My teacher told me that if activation energy CHANGES when different concentration of catalyst is used, then there is NO CHANGE in reaction mechanism. Is this true and why? Can you please explain what is the effect of activation energy on reaction mechanism?
Read 331 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
A reaction mechanism means "how a reaction takes place", it outlines the exact way in which electrons and ions move from one compound to another. Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required to initiate the reaction. Consider the reaction between methane and air(oxygen). When you look at thermodynamic data for this reaction it will be spontaneous, but will not start until a little energy is supplied to it such as a spark or heat. This energy is the activation energy for this reaction. This means that these compounds are kinetically inert. When you use a catalyst it lowers this activation energy by finding an alternative route to the reaction, so the proportion of molecules with energy greater or equal to activation energy increase. This will not alter the reaction mechanism in anyway as reaction mechanism and activation energy are not related in any way. The activation energy will only determine the initial rate of the reaction and not the way it occurs. If you want to understand what a reaction mechanism is, google SN1 and SN2 reaction mechanisms they are the simplest types or reaction mechanism.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  966 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion