r
d
l
a
TomoyoMiku TomoyoMiku
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am studying for my  network+ and will be pursuing my security+ and ccna certs.
Read 285 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
...in order to get the required skillsets, resume bullet points, e.t.c required to get you that dream job without actually being hired by a company volunteering is a major way to go.  The beauty of volunteering is that "you" get to pick the time, and place, and the skills you pickup.  Nowadays there are tons of resources to find places apply the skills you picked up from your A+ which you can in turn list on your resume and have a greater chance at your dream job.  

http://www.uvolunteer.org, smartvolunteer.org, and volunteermatch.org are some of the sites that can show you organizations needing your skills.  They particularly have opportunities to pickup IT experience. Feel free to search for others as well because volunteer opportunities abound at your local churches, small non-profits, e.t.c for people willing to give a few hours each week.  After you volunteer it is best you take a skills sheet and check-off the skills you picked up against the skills required by most IT companies.  (windows, networking, troubleshooting, email software, e.t.c)

best of luck.

btw.  I see your list of planned certs.  Not quite sure if you need Security+ as it's strictly for people intending to specialize in IT security.  Also consider a well planned certification path before you start to pickup the certs.
wrote...
11 years ago
As others have mentioned there may be volunteer positions available in churches, senior centers, animal rescue facilities, hospitals, etc.

Remember that an A+, N+, CCNA and Microsoft certs have little value on their own.  

As far as what you need to get a job: The Holy Grail for IT employment is a 4 year computer related degree, some industry certs and experience. If you have all three of those you should be good. If you have only one element that will help but you may be competing with other people who have two elements or perhaps all three.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1088 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion