H
a
c
k
miaplayer93 miaplayer93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have a circuit with 2 branches in parallel..each branch has a capacitor and an RC in series..how do I do the calculation to find the steady state values?
The circuit is connected to a DC source.. it is then connected to two branches in parallel, with each branch having capacitor-resistor in series..thanks for the hint to clarify the question!
Read 250 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I can't really give you an answer here, because there are too many things unknown.

First, "2 branches in parallel, each branch has a capacitor and an RC in series...", do you mean there are two branches which have a capacitor-resistor-capacitor in series?
If so, what are the values of each of the resistors and the capacitors.

Secondly, what is the circuit connected to? Is it a DC source, an AC source, or no source? What's the initial state of the circuit (what voltage are the capacitors at?).

And lastly, which steady state values? Every possible voltage and current?

If it's just a DC source connected to the circuit, then the steady state current will be zero through both branches (capacitors act like open circuits to DC), and the voltages on the capacitors will depend on the capacitance values.
In terms of actually calculating the values, you can just use Kirchhoff's laws (which will give you a set of differential equations to solve).

EDIT: You can still use Kirchhoff's laws to solve this, but it's easier to use the properties of capacitors to simplify it.
Just as I said before, the steady state current will be zero (in all branches), since the capacitors act like open circuits. The voltage on each capacitor will just be the source voltage, which you can check by doing a loop around the circuit and adding up the voltage drops (no voltage drops across the resistors, since there's no current, so the voltage across either capacitor has to cancel the source voltage).
wrote...
11 years ago
In a DC source with RC connected in series or parallel in steady state values, the capacitor will be disconnected or will be open.

Therefore you have an open circuit.Zero current and voltage for the resistors but not necessarily zero voltage and current for your two capacitors connected in parallel.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  937 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 303