× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Peach Peach
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Two boxes are connected to each other as shown.  The system is released from rest and the 1.00-kg box falls through a distance of 1.00 m.  The surface of the table is frictionless.  What is the kinetic energy of box B just before it reaches the floor?

there is an image but im new to this and i dont know how to attach it. it shows a 3Kg box on a horizontal table, the other box is 1kg and hanging from the table, 1m above the floor.

the ans 2.45J, but i cant reach this result.

Thank u in advance
Read 629 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Click Attachments & Additional Options... while creating a post, and upload the image. I think I understand what's happening though.

You are transforming the potential energy of the 1kg box 1m above the ground to kinetic energy on a 4kg mass system.

Ep = 1kg 1m 9.8m/s2 = 9.8 J

This is the kinetic energy for the total system with 2 boxes (4kg).

For the 1 kg box only, kinetic energy is 1/4 of total kinetic energy (b/c its mass is 1/4 of the total mass of the system and energy is proportional to mass).

So, kinetic energy for the 1 kg box is 9.8 J / 4 = 2.45 J.

Remember to use W - T = ma, which would yield an acceleration of half the value he calculated and a final kinetic energy.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1290 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4