p
z
C
r
leeo2014 leeo2014
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
In simple terms, current flow is the movement of electrons along a conductor.  Electrons are small, and even a small current involves millions of electrons.

Now consider inserting a resistance into a conductor. Fewer electrons flow. As the resistance increases, fewer electrons flow. Now picture a current flow equivalent to 1 electron per second.

Whatever that current may be (I'm curious as to what this value would be), if the resistance was increased further, would all current flow stop - as you cannot have a current flow of (say) half an electron. Or can you? Say one electron every 2 seconds? Is there a theoretical minimum, and if so, what is it?

Also, can it be shown in practice? If so, how?
Read 311 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I have had a few a beers, but this is a good question.  Of course the temp needs to be figured in.  I will save this for tomorrow and hit it with a fresh head!!!
wrote...
10 years ago
You could say that there is a theoretical minimum. Once an object's resistence reaches a certain point, the object no longer efficiently conducts electricity (this point is undetermined, but I think I remember hearing it's somewhere around 1 nanoamp (one millionth of an amp)).

This is why any insulating material -- say wood -- doesn't efficiently conduct electricity (under certain curcumstances with large electric charges --such as with a lightning strike, even insulators can become conductive).

If you heat a conductor to a certain temperature, then it will eventually reach a point where its resistence is too high and no current will flow.

So, yes, there is a theoretical limit. I can't find any sources for you of this in practice.
Answer accepted by topic starter
iki08iki08
wrote...
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 150 words.