K
g
L
w
darkstar28 darkstar28
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The SNS is the body's emergency response system.  How come it has the shorter, myelinated, preganglionic fiber?  I would think that since the body would want the fastest response time in emergency situations then the SNS would have the longer preganglionic fiber thereby allowing for a faster signal transportation time.  The only thing I can think of is that this would allow time for the neurotransmitters released from the adrenal medulla to spread throughout the body and shut off the PNS so that when the signal from the SNS arrives the PNS is already inactive.  Can someone answer this?  I've asked every professor I could and no one seems to know be able to give a satisfactory answer.
Read 601 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I think the answer is easier than you are making it.
You don't seem to have a problem with knowing HOW the SNS and PNS are working, but are basically asking WHY evolution hasn't made this system better by making the preganglionic fibers of the SNS longer than the the slower postganglionic fibers to increase the speed of the signal.

We have to look at the different functions of the SNS and PNS, and see how they are reflected their structure and composition. One of the big differences between them is that the signals or the SNS are extremely widespread rather than specific to one organ or muscle sheet, as in the case of the PNS. For this reson it makes sense to have the SNS ganglions close to the vertbral column, as opposed to all the way to each organ/muscle.
wrote...
11 years ago
From what I can remember I believe the reason why there are shorter preganglionic fiber sis because for emergency situations instead of going all the way to the brain and then back down again, they interact only with the spinal cord so you get a more immediate and necessary response.

I hope this helps! Best of Luck! (I do not miss that material!)
ReylovalentBond
wrote...
11 years ago
Adrenal medulla and Sympathetic ganglia are almost  like ductless glands releasing emergency hormones directly into blood stream  for emergency reaction. The hormonal release is regional and it is not necessary to go all along  from center to periphery.
ReylovalentBond
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1070 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 422