I
k
j
o
__Aycee __Aycee
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I have to write this biology essay about how humans have affected evolution and I'm kind of stuck. Any ideas?
Read 317 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Just think about how human culture has impacted the natural environment and what effect this might have on biological processes. A softball might be how global climate change has damaged animal environments (or hurt turtle breeding see nytimes below). Another easy one might be how deforestation has caused animals to shift behavior.
wrote...
11 years ago
There are a few ways:
We have caused quite a few species to go extinct that were doing fine until we came along.  Examples: Elephant birds, dodo's, Yangtze river dolphins...

We have prevented-for now-the extinction of some animals that we almost caused to become extinct: California Condor, Bald Eagle, Peregrine Falcon

We also have interfered with the evolution of some species to make them more what we want: poodles out of wolves, corn out of a plant with very small seeds compared to corn kernels now.  

We have moved species to places they would never have made it on their own:
Rabbits and cane toads to Australia, boa constrictors to Florida, West Nile virus to the Americas...etc.
Answer accepted by topic starter
juarezsanchezjuarezsanchez
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 120 words.