a
t
i
r
dcarrill dcarrill
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I'm just curious, i don't believe in evolution, but i'm willing to keep an open mind.
Read 731 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
There is simple evidence almost everywhere you look, if you are willing to see it.  Genetics, biology, botany, zoology, archeology, to name a few.  Are you aware of H1N1?
wrote...
10 years ago
For God Sakes, the swine flu evolved.
wrote...
10 years ago
Evolution is a theory not a system of beliefs.  Like atomic theory or the theory of gravity, evolution is based on evidence and makes predictions that can be validated and can be updated as new evidence is found.

Phylogenetic analysis shows evidence in support of the theory of evolution.
wrote...
10 years ago
Good question. There is a lot of evidence out there that can be interpreted to support the theory of evolution, but this evidence can also be used to support Creationism. It really depends on your personal beliefs and presuppositions. I personally am a Creation scientist, but I work in a professional environment that is deeply entrenched in evolutionary biology.

The best evidence that I have seen yet to support the theory of evolution has to do with self-splicing, self-processing, and self-replicating RNA. In order for evolution to be true, there had to be a time long before organisms existed in which life consisted of an RNA world. In order life to perpetuate itself, these mechanisms would have to be set in place for DNA to develop. Is this evidence enough to validate an entire theory? Obviously not, but the scientific community is pretty excited about the research being done in this area.
wrote...
10 years ago
Fossils, genetic evidence, vestigial organs, the rapid evolution of bacteria and flu virus, observed instances of speciation....
wrote...
10 years ago
Evolution is the most logical way to look at the differentiation of species, even though it does not explain where everything started from.  However, many people oppose evolution, because they want to believe in creationism.  If you compare the two, i don't see how creationism can even be considered, its just so stupid.  

However, creationism over the years has been rehashed as ID, but it is essentially the same thing but with a different name.
wrote...
10 years ago
This is a *partial* list of evidence of evolution (sorry this is long, but there's a *lot* of evidence):

1. Evolution reproduced in the lab or documented in nature:

a. Two strains of fruit flies lost the ability to interbreed and produce fertile offspring in the lab over a 4-year span ... i.e. they became two new species. (Easily repeated experiment.)

b. A new plant species (a type of firewood), created by a doubling of the chromosome count from the original stock (Mosquin, 1967).

c. Multiple species of the house mouse unique to the Faeroe Islands occurred within 250 years of introduction of a foundation species on the island.

d. Formation of 5 new species of cichlid fishes that have formed in a single lake within 4,000 years of introduction of a parent species.

2. Fossil evidence - (So much to list). The way fossils appear in the layers of rock always corresponds to relative development ... more primitive creatures in lower (older) layers. Absolute dating of fossils using radiometry. Constant discovery of new transitional forms. E.g. reptile-birds, reptile-mammals, legged whales, legged sea cows.

3. Genetic evidence - E.g. the fact that humans have a huge number of genes (as much as 96%) in common with other great apes ... and (as much as 50%) with wheat plants. The pattern of genetic evidence follows the tell-tale patterns of ancestral relationships (more genes in common between recently related species, and fading the further back in time).

4. Molecular evidence - These are commonalities in DNA ... which is separate from genetic commonalities ... much of our DNA does not code for genes at all. But random mutations (basically 'typos') enter into DNA at a known rate over the centuries. This is called the 'molecular clock' and again gives excellent evidence of when humans diverged from other apes (about 6 million years ago, according to this molecular clock), and this corresponds perfectly with when these fossils first appear in the fossil record (using radiometric dating).

5. Evidence from proteins - Proteins - E.g., things like blood proteins (the things that give us our A, B, O blood typing and the Rh factor (the plus/minus thing) which incidentally stands for 'rhesus monkey'); the exact structure of the insulin molecule; and my favorite, the proteins responsible for color vision. The specific proteins found in human color vision are exactly the same as those found in Old World primates (the great apes and the monkeys found in Africa and Asia). These proteins are absent in New World primates (the Central and South American monkeys), and from all other mammals. In fact among the New World primates, only the howler monkey has color vision ... but these use slightly *different* proteins, coded on different locations and chromosomes, than humans and the OW primates. This is yet more evidence of a closer link between humans and the OW primates.

6. Vestigial and atavistic organs - E.g. Leg and pelvic bones in whales, dolphins, and some snakes; unused eyes in blind cave fish, unused wings in flightless birds and insects; flowers in non-fertilizing plants (like dandelions); in humans, wisdom teeth, tailbones, appendix, the plantaris muscle in the calf (useless in humans, used for grasping with the feet in primates).

7. Embryology - E.g. Legs on dolphin embryos; tails and gill folds on human embryos; snake embryos with legs; marsupial eggshell and carnuncle.

8. Biogeography - The current and past distribution of species on the planet. E.g. almost all marsupials and almost no placental mammals are native to Australia ... the result of speciation in a geographically isolated area.

9. Homology - E.g. the same bones in the same relative positions in primate hands, bat wings, bird wings, mammals, whale and penguin flippers, pterosaur wings, horse legs, the forelimbs of moles, and webbed amphibian legs.

10. Bacteriology, virology, immunology, pest-control - I.e. the way that bacteria evolve in response to antibiotics (we can compare strains of tuberculosis today, with samples of older epidemics and can see the specific structures), or viruses (like HIV) respond to antivirals, or insects evolving in response to pesticides.
wrote...
10 years ago
All evidence of life on earth is evidence in support of the theory of evolution, from organisms alive today all the way into the depths of the fossil record. The theory of evolution explains satisfactorily ALL we know about life on earth. Supposed evidence against evolution is usually based on false premises or horrendous misunderstandings of biology, geological timescales or natural selection, or all three. the common chestnut of the eye being impossible to evolve is a great example of this twisting of facts that creationists indulge in. The fact is there is no scientifically viable alternative to explain how life has come to exist in its present forms.

By the way, raisemeup is a perfect example of what creationists do. every single point is based on false assumptions, if not downright lies commonly spread by creationists. If you ever see a creationist quoting an "evolutionist" you can guarantee that quote is a misquote, a misreading or a paraphrase taken completely out of context.
wrote...
10 years ago
You simply can't say 'I don't believe in evolution'.

I doubt you would so hastily claim not to believe in gravity, or thermodynamics to give some examples.

It's undisputed scientific fact.

Keep that silly book out of science.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1414 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741