e
hellohi hellohi
wrote...
Rep: 5 0
13 years ago
Hey everyone! I need help with these questions;

Compare and contrast

-Cellular respiration and combustion.
-Oxidative and substrate level phosphorylation.
-Anaerobic and aerobic pathways.
-Brown fat and 'normal' adipose tissue.

We've went through all this. However, I don't see much of it in my notes (and I write everything in my notes).  Thinking Face

Please, short but sound answers, only in gr 12:) Thanks in advance everyone!  Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
Read 3098 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
Cellular respiration and combustion

Interesting question, to answer the first one. Both processes produce carbon dioxide and water, but cellular respiration extracts energy in a very sophisticated and gradual way, rather than in one sudden step. Most of its energy is extracted by the electron transport chain and transformed into proton gradient energy that is subsequently used to produce ATP, which is then expended wherever energy is needed. Also, in cellular respiration, we typically start with glucose or a simple sugar, whereas in combustion, we start with fuel!
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
Oxidative and substrate level phosphorylation

I'll give this one a go at it too... Substrate-level phosphorylation occurs during Glycolysis and it involves the physical addition of a free phosphate to ADP to form ATP. Oxidative phosphorylation, on the other hand, takes place along the electron transport chain, where ATP is synthesized indirectly from the creation of a proton gradient (hydrogen ions inside the intermembrane space of the mitochondria) and the movement of these protons back across the membrane through the protein channel, ATP synthase (or ATPase, whatever your textbook refers to it as). As the protons pass through, ATP is created, from ADP to ATP.

Slight Smile
hellohi Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you star! Slight Smile!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Anaerobic and aerobic pathways.

Aerobic respiration require oxygen in order to function, whereas anaerobic respiration does not require oxygen. However, both require glucose as a starting substrate.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
hellohi Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you Duddy! Slight Smile!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Brown fat and 'normal' adipose tissue

1) In humans, white adipose tissue composes as much as 20% of the body weight in men and 25% of the body weight in women. In neonates (new born babies), brown fat, which then makes up about 5% of the body mass and is located on the back, along the upper half of the spine and towards the shoulders.

2) White adipose tissue serves three functions: heat insulation, mechanical cushion, and most importantly, a source of energy. Brown fat is of great importance to avoid lethal cold (hypothermia is a major death risk for premature neonates.

Hope this helps with all your Q's.

Thank you Duddy! Slight Smile!

And you're welcome. Wink Face
- Bachelor of Science
hellohi Author
wrote...
13 years ago
In one of my notes it says Key differences for CR and Combustion: Minimize heat, maxamise ATP
and control mechanisms, which one minimizes heat?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
In one of my notes it says Key differences for CR and Combustion: Minimize heat, maxamise ATP
and control mechanisms, which one minimizes heat?

Would have to be ATP produce, cellular respiration. Because in combustion you release energy in the form of heat, it can't be combustion.
- Bachelor of Science
hellohi Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you all!!!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Thank you all!!!

Welcome.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1000 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 119
Closes: November 4