s
a
t
i
r
flgator1982 flgator1982
wrote...
10 years ago
Does it mean that i just use the VSEPR model and draw the correct one or do i do something else?
Read 477 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
It means draw all of the Lewis structures that make up the actual structure of the molecule. For example, to draw reesonance structures of benzene, draw two hexagons. In the first, put extra lines between the 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions, between 4 and 6, and between 8 and 10 o'clock. In the second, put the extra lines between the 2 and 4, the 6 and 8, and the 10 and 12 o'clock positions. The two structures are 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene and 2,4,6-cyclohexatriene. Resonance means that the real molecule averages together the classical structures drawn.
wrote...
10 years ago
Not quite. Electrons in molecules able of resonance are not "fixed" in a particular structure, but instead alternate between different configurations, called resonance structures. The most common example is the benzene ring. It can be drawn as two different structures of six carbon rings with three alternate double bonds. None of these are the "true" configuration, they're rather both contributors to the net configuration, which is a probabillistic combination of both of them.
wrote...
10 years ago
It means in that molecule some of the bonding electrons are shared by more than two atoms and you have to draw all of the possibilities out.  For example, O3 has two resonance structures:  O=O-O and O-O=O, so you have to draw them both.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1296 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372