× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
nite_n_day nite_n_day
wrote...
11 years ago
A hypothetical genetic disease causes the body to produce antibodies that compete with acetylcholine for receptors on the motor end plate. Patients with this disease exhibit varying degrees of muscle weakness and flaccid paralysis in the affected muscles. If you could administer a drug that inhibits acetylcholinesterase or a drug that blocks acetylcholine, which one would you use to alleviate these symptoms? 
Read 3248 times
3 Replies
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago
Found the answer online.

"A drug that inhibits acetylcholinesterase will help alleviate muscle weakness and flaccid paralysis.

Acetylcholine (ACh) initiates excitation contraction coupling by attaching to nicotinic cholinergic receptors on the motor endplate. The antibodies are binding to these receptors and muscle weakness occurs because the muscle is not getting the signal (or ACh) to contract. Therefore blocking ACh will not help reduce muscle weakness.

Acetylcholinesterase is the enzyme responsible for breaking ACh into its subunits Acetyl-CoA and choline. Inhibiting acetylcholinesterase will allow more ACh to be present within the neuromuscular junction and therefore more opportunities to bind to the motor end plate receptors.

An example of a drug that inhibits acetylcholinesterase activity is ESERINE. ESERINE is commonly used to relieve symptoms of Myasthenia gravis. This disease is an autoimmune disease that destroys ACh receptors and is characterized by muscle weakness."
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
This is a case of competition between acetylcholine and the antibody. To make the patient's acetylcholine more effective, a drug that inhibits acetylcholinesterase would slow the breakdown of his acetylcholine, relieving some of the weakness. An acetylcholine blocker would be worse than doing nothing.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
nite_n_day Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thanks both of you, respects.
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1043 People Browsing
Related Images