Top Posters
Since Sunday
g
chelology chelology
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago Edited: 6 years ago, chelology
What is threshold potential? In this experiment, what is the threshold potential for this motor neuron?

What is all-or-none principle? What mass can be lifted at 40 mV stimulus?

An example of a sensory neuron is one that leads from a pain receptor in the finger to the spinal cord. A pin can be pressed against the skin without eliciting a response from the pain receptor. However, if the pin is jabbed lightly into the finger, the pain receptor may be stimulated and the finger than be quickly withdrawn through reflex arc.
How do we sense different types of pain? Using what you understand about threshold potentials and all-or-none principle, explain how it is possible to sense different levels of pain.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 186 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
Hi again,

The magnitude of the action potential set up in any single nerve fiber is independent of the strength of the exciting stimulus. An electrical stimulus below threshold strength fails to elicit a propagated spike potential. If it is of threshold strength or over (in other words, it reaches the neuron's threshold potential), a spike (a nervous impulse) of maximum magnitude is set up. Either the single fiber does not respond with spike production, or it responds to the utmost of its ability under the conditions at the moment. This property of the single nerve fiber is termed the all-or-none relationship. This relationship holds only for the unit of tissue; for nervous tissue the unit is the nerve cell, for skeletal muscle the unit is the individual muscle fiber and for the heart the unit is the entire auricles or the entire ventricles.

In terms of the missing value in the chart, it should still be 20.

chelology Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Hi! Sorry but I dont think this really answers my question, I'm just really confused by these three questions they dont make sense to me at all. When it comes to bio I need clear answers haha I'm just very bad at bio
Sorry and thanks!
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 170 words.