f
j
b
c
TodRacing TodRacing
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Hess (1987, 1999) discusses at least seven different dimensions along which psychology and law differ. List four of these dimensions and define precisely what they mean.
Read 407 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
a.   Knowledge
•   In psychology, knowledge is gained through cumulative research.
•   In the law, knowledge is acquired through precedent, logical thinking, and case law.
b.   Methodology
•   In psychology, methods are predominantly nomothetic (i.e., goal is to uncover general trends and processes).
•   In the law, the methodological approach is idiographic (i.e., operates on a case-by-case basis).
c.   Nature of law
•   Psychology is descriptive, the goal being to describe how people behave.
•   Law is prescriptive, telling people how they should behave.
d.   Epistemology
•   In psychology, it is assumed that there is an objective truth that can potentially be uncovered using the experimental method.
•   In the law, truth is defined subjectively and is based on who can present the most convincing argument.
e.   Principles
•   In psychology, alternative explanations are considered (i.e., falsifiability).
•   The lawyer’s goal is to convince the court that his/her explanation is solely correct.
f.   Criteria
•   Psychology is cautious and conservative in accepting a hypothesis as true (results must be replicated, etc.).
•   Law decides truth on the basis of a single case and a criterion that is far more lenient.
g.   Latitude
•   The behaviour of a psychologist providing expert testimony in court is severely restricted.
•   The behaviour of a lawyer within the court is subject to far fewer restrictions.
The student need only provide four of the seven dimensions to receive full marks.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1101 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 423

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?