a
t
i
r
Rockangel Rockangel
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I have to construct a phylogenetic tree based on anatomical features and basic ecology (e.g. are they aquatic or terrestrial?). Based on the traits observed, I  should construct a phylogenetic tree of these seven invertebrates to determine how they are related.

Black worms (Lumbriculus variegatis)

Round worms (Caenorhabditis elegans)

White worms (Enchytraeus sp.)

Brown planaria (Dugesia tigrina)

Black planaria (Dugesia dorotocephala)

Red wigglers (Alloloborpha calliginosa)

Green hydra (Chlorohydra viridissima)

And explain please!  Smiling Face with Halo

Thank you!  Smiling Face with Halo
Read 1150 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Perhaps this would help?

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=3074.0
wrote...
10 years ago
No, that won't work, that's a cladogram, not a phylogenetic tree.

In this highly simplified phylogeny, a speciation event occurred resulting in two lineages. One led to the mosses of today; the other led to the fern, pine, and rose. Since that speciation event, both lineages have had an equal amount of time to evolve. So, although mosses branch off early on the tree of life and share many features with the ancestor of all land plants, living moss species are not ancestral to other land plants. Nor are they more primitive. Mosses are the cousins of other land plants.

So when reading a phylogeny, it is important to keep three things in mind:

1) Evolution produces a pattern of relationships among lineages that is tree-like, not ladder-like.

2) Just because we tend to read phylogenies from left to right, there is no correlation with level of "advancement."

3) For any speciation event on a phylogeny, the choice of which lineage goes to the right and which goes to the left is arbitrary. The following phylogenies are equivalent:

Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
wrote...
10 years ago
Sorry. I suppose the least similar one will be to the far right. This requires a bit of research, so your best bet would be to research all seven organisms.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion