d
a
g
j
Unsaint32 Unsaint32
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Hi, I am trying to write a scifi novel.  A mad scientist is trying to create a fully synthetic self replicating cell that ultimately divides into full grown human.  In my story, a quantum computer power enables him full atom level scanning of a human zygote.  He also builds a self assembler machine that "prints" a new human zygote cell with a special material.

What I am not sure of is the environment the cell must have in order for it to go through the growth cycle.  In human 'real' biology, I assume a zygote must derive energy from the fluid that it is suspended in.  Am I right?  I mean, in order for the cell to build the proteins and organelles, it needs to consume some kind of energy from its environment, right?  In my fantasy story, for the artificial zygote to grow, it will need to extract some energy from its environment.  Am I correct so far?

Is my reasoning any where near realistic?  I mean in the realm of a sci-fi story.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 
Read 81 times
1 Reply
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
In human 'real' biology, I assume a zygote must derive energy from the fluid that it is suspended in.

A zygote is a fertilized egg. The egg contains all the nutrients needed for its growth, at least for the first several days prior to implantation. Hence why the egg is much larger than the sperm. Once the embryo reaches the blastocyst stage, approximately five to six days after fertilization, the process of implantation in the uterus occurs. Implantation also triggers hormonal changes in the mother’s body that enables it to nurture the developing human. So from that point onwards, it obtains nutrients from the mother.

Remember, it's a science-fiction novel, so anything goes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1655 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 365