r
d
l
a
Darkbands Darkbands
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
In Northern, Southern, and Western blotting, the first step is electrophoresis of the macromolecules in question.  Do the molecules remain in the gel in subsequent steps?  If not, where do they end up?

My attempt:

Southern and Northern blotting transfer molecules from electrophoresis gel to Nylon membrane so they can be be labeled by a probe.

In Western Blotting proteins are transferred from gel to a nitrocellulose or polyvinylidene difluoride? (I googled this protocol, this was not on my chapter outline)

My chapter outline contained attachment for Western Blot protocol.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 672 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
Hi Darkbands,

The first step in a Western blotting procedure is to separate the macromolecules using gel electrophoresis. After electrophoresis, the separated molecules are transferred or blotted onto a second matrix, generally a nitrocellulose or polyvinylidene difluoride (PVDF) membrane. Next, the membrane is blocked to prevent any nonspecific binding of antibodies to the surface of the membrane. Most commonly, the transferred protein is complexed with an enzyme-labeled antibody as a probe. An appropriate substrate is then added to the enzyme and together they produce a detectable product such as a chromogenic precipitate on the membrane for colorimetric detection. The most sensitive detection methods use a chemiluminescent substrate that, when combined with the enzyme, produces light as a byproduct. The light output can be captured using film, a CCD camera or a phosphorimager that is designed for chemiluminescent detection. Alternatively, fluorescently tagged antibodies can be used, which are directly detected with the aid of a fluorescence imaging system. Whatever system is used, the intensity of the signal should correlate with the abundance of the antigen on the membrane.

Hope this helps answer part of your question.
Source  http://www.piercenet.com/browse.cfm?fldID=8259A7B6-7DA6-41CF-9D55-AA6C14F31193
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  795 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274