a
t
i
r
crivas1127 crivas1127
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
It says in my astronomy book that a sidereal day is shorter than a solar day, but I am having trouble understanding why and how that is.  Also, how can a sidereal day become longer than a solar day?  I know a sidereal day is the time between appearances of the stars, but I don't understand why that time is a few seconds shorter than a solar day.
Read 1257 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Good question, you wrote:

I know a sidereal day is the time between appearances of the stars, but I don't understand why that time is a few seconds shorter than a solar day.

Recall that the sidereal day is determined by the earth's rotation with respect to the stars. The solar day is approximately four minutes longer than the sidereal day. 
wrote...
12 years ago
a sidereal day is slightly less than 4 minutes shorter than a solar day.

The Earth moves a little less than a degree around its orbit during the course of one day so after it has completed a rotation with respect to the distant stars it has to rotate that extra degree to bring the Sun into the same apparent position.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
It says in my astronomy book that a sidereal day is shorter than a solar day, but I am having trouble understanding why and how that is.

U sure that's what your text says?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1269 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352