t
i
r
Jaimie Jaimie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hello,
I have a couple questions regarding the hormones involved/produced in short term vs. long term stress hormone responses. I am currently reading this in grade 12 biology- but I am confused as to how they are describing both processes. Could someone help clarify the following?
1)  I am reading that for short-term, the adrenal medulla and its assoc. hormones of epinephrine/norepinephrine, glucagon and insulin, and cortisol are involved in its response.
Is this correct? Are both nervous system and endocrine system involved?

2) I am reading that for long-term both the nervous and the endocrine system are involved. Does this mean that the long-term response involves the pituitary's ACTH, and the adrenal cortex produced hormones of glucocorticoids (mainly cortisol), mineralocorticoids (mainly aldosterone) and small amount of sex hormones in addition to the short-term hormones of epinephrine/norepinephrine, cortisol, glucagon and insulin? Is this how the nervous system contributes to the response here?
Thank you in advance!
Read 2440 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
1)  I am reading that for short-term, the adrenal medulla and its assoc. hormones of epinephrine/norepinephrine, glucagon and insulin, and cortisol are involved in its response.
Is this correct? Are both nervous system and endocrine system involved?

Ya, but those hormones you mentioned are mostly endocrine. Cortisol effects the limbic system in the brain.

The rapid, short-term response to stress, called the fight-or-flight response, is carried out by hormones of the adrenal medulla. The hypothalamus sends nerve impulses to the nerve endings in the adrenal medulla. This causes the medulla to secrete the neurohormones epinephrine and norepinephrine. These hormones cause increases in glycogen breakdown leading to increased blood glucose levels, blood pressure and breathing rate, metabolism, and alertness. They cause decreases in digestive, excretory, and reproductive activity due to changes in blood flow.

The long-term response to stress, which is an endocrine, rather than a nervous-system, response is mediated by the adrenal cortex. The hypothalamus stimulates the anterior pituitary to release ACTH, which stimulates the production of corticosteroids by the adrenal cortex. Two types of corticosteroids participate in this reaction: glucocorticoids such as cortisol, which increase metabolism by stimulating glucose production from fats and proteins, and mineralocorticoids, which regulate salt and water balance, leading to increased blood pressure and volume, and cause partial immune-system suppression.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Please mark as solved, Jaimie Smiling Face with Glasses
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
wrote...
10 years ago
Hmmm... maybe my memories are failing me but I don't think that's the kind of answer that high school bio teachers expect. If I was a teacher looking at that, there'd be a red flag.

On a lighter note, sometimes stress-induced symptoms are fancy way of saying I have no clue what is the cause so here's the filler. Just go with it. I hate when docs say it's cause of the stress. Everyone gets stress, genius. I didn't wait an hour (assuming that appointment was made, if not... assume more hours) for trolling advice.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1217 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328