t
i
r
lenam lenam
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I am 17 and a junior in high school.
I really want to be a doctor, but sometimes I want to be something else.
I have a passion for acting and singing, and I am good at both.
I just wonder what will happen if I get to medical school and decide that I don't want to be a doctor.
I have a passion for medicine and a passion for helping people, but I also have a passion for other things.
I am just curious to know if someone went to medical school and decided that they didn't want to be a dcotor.
I know I am young and still have a long way to go, but I really want to have a good future.
Any advice?
Thanks!
Read 9945 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Medical school is still many years away. Go to college and take biology classes along with the other general requirements and see what you like. You have plenty of time to decide. I had 3 friends in college who wanted to be doctors and of the 3 one decided to become a nurse, one is an elementary school teacher and the other did become a doctor. You won't get to medical school and decide not to become a doctor because you will know before that time comes, Trust me.
wrote...
11 years ago
i have a similar problem.... i'm not sure if i want to be a doctor(like surgeon) or work in forensics.
wrote...
11 years ago
I would have a talk with the guidance councillor at your school. They maybe able to set up a trip to a hospital for you.

Failing that, ring around local hospitals and hospises and ask about nurse aiding (i believe in the US it's called candy stripers).

Either of these will give you a first hand idea of whether this is for you. and it's a good thing that you are thinking about this now, Med school is VERY expensive and you wouldn't want to waste lots of money just to find out that it's not the career for you.

Good luck Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
Well, first off, which do you think you can succeed at? Both take a huge commitment to do so. Second, it is possible to do both. You could be a doctor and still play music or act in a local theater. You could become a big actor and find other ways than medicine to help.
It all comes down to this, go to college. you can take classes in the sciences and in music and theater and get a taste for both. I would also recommend becoming a CNA or EMT and getting some medical experience that way. It will help you make up your mind and also help you get into medical school should you choose that route. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose.
wrote...
11 years ago
Take classes to be a CNA.  If you can't do that job - then you shouldn't even think about being a doctor.
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
It sounds like you will have a good future no matter what you decide.  Having a passion for helping people is great, and is what is needed for a career in the Medical Profession.  Are you sure you have it though?  I suggest you volunteer at your local hospital as a Candy Stripper or what ever they call their workers.  If you can work a 12 hour shift emptying bed pans, sponge bathing old people, etc; then go for it.  I know what you are thinking...as a Doctor I won't be doing that.  Well as an intern you probably will; but more importantly, you as a Dr., will have to decide when enough is enough, and talk the loved ones into pulling the plug.  So, the question is not should you be a Doctor, but if you would prefer being a Doctor over being a singer or actor.  I will give you this, which ever path you choose, you are going to have to fight for it all the way...Good luck!!!
wrote...
11 years ago
Here's my advice, for what it's worth, but I warn you, your parents aren't going to like it.  ;-)

I am currently a fourth year medical student, but my undergraduate degree is in theatre arts.  I worked as an actress for about ten years, and for a company that represented opera singers for about three years after that, before I started my post-bacc work and ended up in med school.

I really am not suggesting that any one else follow along that kind of a path.  But I will tell you one secret, grasshopper:  it is not necessary to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life when you are eighteen years old.

Honest.

It's really a shame when someone gets as far as med school before realizing that they don't want to be a doctor.  It's all the more reason to explore other things along the way.  And here's another secret:  you do not have to do the traditional pre-med majors like biology or chemistry in order to apply to med school.  In fact, they really like seeing other majors.  So use your undergraduate years to explore.  Don't go in with the determination that only ending up in med school is an acceptable option.  Try all kinds of things--that's what college is supposed to be for.

At the end of that, if you still think that medicine is what you want to do--well, you'll be in a different place by then, and probably much more able to decide whether it's the right choice for you.  I don't for an instant regret not going for med school right out of high school/college.  I would have hated it then.  Now I love it.  Maybe you will too--but you don't ever want to feel like you wound up here because you never thought about anything else.

(Oh, and the volunteering suggestion is a good one. )

Best of luck to you!
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I'm not sure of what you should do, but I do know that I wish you a happy and healthy journey! Best of luck to you  Slight Smile
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
wrote...
10 years ago
This.

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=67851.msg244671#msg244671
wrote...
10 years ago
Haha I had a similar problem and I am just 16 yet. I was involved in so many things like theatre, music, dance, modelling that I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to be a doctor.

I suggest you visit a career counselor. Interest and Aptitude tests might be of help. In case they aren't, you have a number of years left. Keep studying biology till then. If you really want to become a doctor, you'll know it by the end of college, surely.

All the best!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1216 People Browsing
Related Images