p
n
C
z
neogene neogene
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
I've been taking vitamin D cause of my doctor's recommendation. I was told to get about 2000 um and I was around 950 um. Not pills, I don't mind... especially since it's soluble in water so it'd be easy to flush it out of my system if there's too much. But there are some school of thoughts that say vitamin D generated from sunlight exposure is better (not just because of the money) and vitamin D pills could have bad implication in the long-term. And yes, I'm taking D3 not D2.

What do you guys think? I mean, I'd prefer sunlight too but most of the time in school and work I tend to be indoors.
Read 2158 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
But there are some school of thoughts that say vitamin D generated from sunlight exposure is better (not just because of the money) and vitamin D pills could have bad implication in the long-term.

I wouldn't worry about any long term help concerns unless you take them none-stop or overdose more than you should. The only people who should be worried about lack of sunlight are those that live in higher latitudes, where they are deprived of sunlight for nearly half the year, for example. I'm assuming you're North American...
neogene Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I know, since a doc recommended it. Still, there are scientific studies on the different metabolic pathways the body undergoes for vitamin D pills and vitamin D from the sunlight. I'd like to see other insights, that's all. After all, even doctor's are wrong sometimes. Remember the Australians that received Nobel prize for their studies in ulcer? That was a giant f&@! you to medical communities that laughed at the idea of ulcer being caused by stress.

Stress my ass.
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Remember the Australians that received Nobel prize for their studies in ulcer? That was a giant **** *** to medical communities that laughed at the idea of ulcer being caused by stress.

That's a famous example of correlation not really being causation - pretty much the problem with ever sociology and psychology study known to man.

This is the pathway for sunlight.

The term vitamin D is, unfortunately, an imprecise term referring to one or more members of a group of steroid molecules. Vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol is generated in the skin of animals when light energy is absorbed by a precursor molecule 7-dehydrocholesterol. Vitamin D is thus not a true vitamin, because individuals with adequate exposure to sunlight do not require dietary supplementation. There are also dietary sources of vitamin D, including egg yolk, fish oil and a number of plants. The plant form of vitamin D is called vitamin D2 or ergosterol. However, natural diets typically do not contain adequate quantities of vitamin D, and exposure to sunlight or consumption of foodstuffs purposefully supplemented with vitamin D are necessary to prevent deficiencies.

Vitamin D, as either D3 or D2, does not have significant biological activity. Rather, it must be metabolized within the body to the hormonally-active form known as 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol. This transformation occurs in two steps, as depicted in the diagram to the right:

Within the liver, cholecalciferal is hydroxylated to 25-hydroxycholecalciferol by the enzyme 25-hydroxylase.
Within the kidney, 25-hydroxycholecalciferol serves as a substrate for 1-alpha-hydroxylase, yielding 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, the biologically active form.

Each of the forms of vitamin D is hydrophobic, and is transported in blood bound to carrier proteins. The major carrier is called, appropriately, vitamin D-binding protein. The halflife of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol is several weeks, while that of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol is only a few hours.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  994 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 6
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?