× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
lilybrunes lilybrunes
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
K.H. is a 67-year-old African-American man with primary hypertension and diabetes mellitus. He is currently taking an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor and following a salt-restricted weight loss diet. He is about 30 pounds over his ideal weight. At his clinic visit his blood pressure is noted to be 135/96. His heart rate is 70 beats/min. He has no complaints. His wife brought a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope with her in the hope of learning to take her husband’s blood pressure at home.

Discussion Questions

What risk factors for primary hypertension are evident from K.H.’s history and physical data?

What is the rationale for treating K.H. with an ACE inhibitor? What is the mechanism of action?
Read 1990 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
The wife can use an automated bicep or wrist cuff, she doesn't need the scope. This is a somewhat outdated scenario.

"What risk factors for primary hypertension are evident from K.H.’s history and physical data?" -- Mr. K.H.'s most evident risk factors for primary HTN are his age, his race, the extra 30 lbs. and his DM. I have no idea if his sodium intake is high (no information about Na levels) so I don't know if sodium restriction is appropriate.

"What is the rationale for treating K.H. with an ACE inhibitor?" -- When medications are prescribed, ethnicity needs to be taken into consideration. Some meds work better for some ethnic groups than for others. (If his ACE inhibitor is lisinopril, he should be watchful for the ACE inhibitor cough)

" What is the mechanism of action?" -- Angiotensin II is a vasoconstrictor. Vasoconstriction elevates B/P. Angiotensin II is formed from angiotensin I in the blood by the enzyme angiotensin converting enzyme or ACE. ACE inhibitors interfere with the activity of the enzyme ACE and this decreases the production of angiotensin II. As a result, you have vasodilation and blood pressure is reduced.

"for the first question I see that he is at risk for primary hypertention because his weight, blood pressure, and high heart rate. Is that it?" -- I don't see what you see. The weight is a contributory factor but it's only 30 lbs, so it's not that significant and wouldn't matter at all if K.H. were metabolically healthy, however you should inlcude it as a risk factor. His blood pressure is split. The SBP is prehypertensive (probably thanks to the ACE inihibitor) and the DBP is hypertensive, so the whole thing is hypertensive. Without the ACE, it would be higher. But BP isn't a risk factor. It's the result of risk factors. Did you learn what the normal ranges for V/S are? 70 is perfectly normal.
Source  Found this on Yahoo Answers: http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131007072840AAWtSQJ
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1306 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4