× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/792753--adopted-boy-8-sent-back-to-moscow-with-a-note?bn=1

This is an article about an American family that adopted a boy from Russia and then because they said he had severe mental and psychological problems sent him back on a plane with only a note. Russia is now in talks on putting a ban on adoptions into the United States because of this incident. Do you think that once children are adopted that they should be allowed to be 'returned' because they aren't exactly what the parents wanted and do you think there needs to be more strict guidelines for adoption so that parents will be eliminated from the adoption process?
Read 1164 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
This is very wrong and sad. This family is treating the boy like some kind of material possession. I think that once a child is legally adopted, it is the parents responsibility to treat the child with respect and love, regardless of his/her medical condition. Instead, this irresponsible couple is treating this boy like a pet.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I feel that the family was wrong for sending the child back, however I also know that many adoption agencies, especially in foreign countries, do not have full disclosure when it comes to the physical and mental states of the children in their care and couples adopt children only to bring them home and learn they have behavioural issues, for example. Families considering adoption should be able to find out whether a particular child they are considering to adopt has any health/pyschological issues. Unfortunately I feel that many adoption agencies just want to find the children homes and so they don't mention any issues the child may have, feeling it may make that child an undesirable adoption choice.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
I did not get the impression that there was anything medically wrong with the boy, other than the fact he was making life hell for his adoptive family. This might be a valid excuse to return the child, since the family certainly did not bargain for all the trouble he has caused. However, the mother should have considered other options besides adopting from Russia, where she would have to rely on questionable descriptions of the boy from other people. The fact that the boy was seven also means he could have developed violent tendencies through years of being poorly looked after in the orphanage system.
wrote...
13 years ago
I feel that the family was wrong for sending the child back, however I also know that many adoption agencies, especially in foreign countries, do not have full disclosure when it comes to the physical and mental states of the children in their care and couples adopt children only to bring them home and learn they have behavioural issues, for example. Families considering adoption should be able to find out whether a particular child they are considering to adopt has any health/pyschological issues. Unfortunately I feel that many adoption agencies just want to find the children homes and so they don't mention any issues the child may have, feeling it may make that child an undesirable adoption choice.

I agree that the main problem here is the lack of full disclosure.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I agree that the main problem here is the lack of full disclosure.

What do you mean?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1262 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372