i
r
r
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
A rise in emitted fossil fuels and carbon dioxide has started to change the chemical composition of the ocean toward an acidic composition. This acidification due to human activity is affecting coral reefs all over the planet, impacting coral and invertebrates.
This would affect humans through food supply and may affect birds and other land species.

Opinions? Comments?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100330092821.htm
Read 1164 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
It's pretty much impossible for us to completely stop, or even drastically reduce, the burning of fossil fuels in a reasonable manner at this point, but I believe the general population is becoming more and more aware of the state that our environment is in as a result of human activity. We recently had Earth Hour and I think it's events like these that raise public awareness and help people understand the true magnitude of human energy consumption; I think that this is a good starting point and, for now, we can really only hope for the best that people will clue in and learn to make better decisions on how they consume energy on a day-to-day basis. Hopefully, this will be enough for the Earth to heal itself.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
13 years ago
it is impossible but we can do steps to reduce its process .
and we should do steps about it . DISCUSS .
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
Ocean Acidification has been a serious matter for many years. Coral Reefs are the most vulnerable out of all towards ocean acidification. Coral Reefs usually contains large amounts of calcium carbonate but lately decalcification occurs and therefore they are not able to function well with the ecosystem and this problem affects many marine and land species.

Best Example - Great Barrier Reef has many ecological and economic impact due to ocean acidification.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
it is impossible but we can do steps to reduce its process .
and we should do steps about it . DISCUSS .

It would be nearly impossible to really start reducing the emissions that humans are exposing as of right now. The best we could do is control and management of the affected areas, attempt some clean up efforts in seriously affected areas, give the environment a little help in stabilizing it self once again. Recently awareness of this issue has been reaching out to the public but it will take some time until real action can take place. hope fully within our generation we can see these changes to save our environment come alive!
````````````````````
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1319 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?