k
m
c
o
dashaalynn dashaalynn
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am studying for an upcoming exam and don't really understand this equation. The nerst potential equation is E(ion)=61/z(log)(ion in/ion out). The question is asking me for the nerst potential of Na+ and gives me the following information:

Intracellular(mmol)= 14
ECF(mmol)=140

I have no idea how to incorporate this information into the equation. If anyone could help please show work since I have more than one question related to this. Thanks!
I meant Nernst** sorry!
Read 217 times
2 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
for Na+ it is [140]/[14] plug that into the equation for ion in and ion out and you should get the right answer  Slight Smile
Good Luck

sorry I am in lecture right now... ill add more in a bit so it makes more sence

Ok from what i have from my lecture notes is that the portion of the eqn 61/z is a constant and it equals 60.  So now you have to consider the whats going on, whats ICF and ECF  and which is higher and lower depending on if its k+ or Na+ Cl- and then you can think through which way the numbers should  be larger/smaller in the ICF or ECF.  I hope that helps a little more, if not sorry Confounded Face
Answer accepted by topic starter
freddy0622freddy0622
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.