r
d
l
a
VxW VxW
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, VxW
 Consider the Reaction: 2Hg) (s) Rightwards Arrow 2Hg (l) + O2 (g)

Bond:
Hg=O 340kJ/mol
O=O 498 kJ/mol

How do i solve this?

My answer was exothermic but it was wrong. It should be endothermic.

This is how i solved it:

Enthalpy Before: 2(340) = 680
Enthalpy After: 498

Change in Enthalpy: 498 - 680= -182

Therefore, the reaction is exothermic because energy is released from the bond.

Can you please tell me what i did wrong and how to solve it.

In additon, my textbook states that an endothermic reaction is a reaction which requires energy overall and absorbs heat. While exothermic reactions release energy overall and releases heat.

It also states that Catabolic reactions are exothermic reactions while anabolic reactions are endothermic reactions because it requires a net input of energy.

A reaction is exothermic when change in entalphy is less than 0 and endothermic when change in enthalpy is greater than 0.

How come in the reaction H2 + Cl2 Rightwards Arrow 2HCl, it requires energy to break the bonds into H H Cl Cl when it is catabolic and releases energy when reforming the bonds to H-Cl and H-Cl when it is anabolic?

Thank You
Read 882 times
2 Replies