t
i
r
r
bio_beginner bio_beginner
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hi guys, I just encounter a question about sterilization.

How to sterilize PLASTIC petri dish.
Yea, It's in PLASTIC but not glass.
I'm wondering if the plastic will melt if the dish is put in the oven or autoclave.

So, can we just use alcohol to wash it? But is using alcohol a sterilization method?

Thank you

Read 6189 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
First, turn it into glass...  Or in lieu of that, buy more plastic petri dishes.  The nice thing about plastic petri dishes is that they're cheap and they come pre-sterilized. The unfortunate thing is that they're designed for a single use.

Alternatively, you could invest in the sort of radiation machine that the manufacturing company who created the plastic petri dishes uses.  But if you have that kind of money, I'd say buy more plastic presterilized petri dishes.

Do you have an autoclave machine in the lab you're using?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
What i do for my plastic dish is:-

-i take out all things inside
-wash with soap
-once dried, i soak both the top/bottom cover in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, in a clean lab
- and then i pour my prepared agar medium, and after cooling, inoculate it.

Ive high success rate of around 90% with this technique. Hope this helps.
wrote...
10 years ago
What about pasteurization? I was hoping that with the polypropylene plastic I could at very least pasteurize them (to save on money and waste without the hassle of possible shattering of glass all over the floor..
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
What about pasteurization? I was hoping that with the polypropylene plastic I could at very least pasteurize them (to save on money and waste without the hassle of possible shattering of glass all over the floor..

Pasteurization will not do the job, many bacteria survive.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  911 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249