f
a
d
c
treegirls treegirls
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I am doing a science exit project for school. The question my project is asking is How does the concentration of chlorine in water affect the rate of seed germination? My hypothesis is: If chlorine affects the rate of seed germination then a high concentration of chlorine in water will delay or cancel the germination of a seed because chlorine concentration is a growth reducing factor for most of the plant species because it is toxic.
So what I am planning to do is first have a control plant that will be watered with regular water, no chlorine. The second one will be with watered with water that has a 25% chlorine concentration. The third one with 50% chlorine concentration. The fourth one with 75% chlorine concentration and the fifth one with 100% chlorine concentration. For each plant I will observe how long it takes for the seed to start germination.
Now, what I need help with is what kind of seed should I use to demonstrate the rate of seed germination? And please if you are going to answer, make it something that I maybe have at home like green peas or beans. Don't say I have to go and buy something crazy. I was thinking maybe I can use lima beans. Is that a good idea?
Also, I need some suggestions on how to calculate the percent of chlorine concentration. For example if I have a cup of water, how would I know what is 25%?
This project is due May 1st.
All help is appreciated!
Read 208 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
foofighter15foofighter15
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.