t
m
p
m
f
zeekarn zeekarn
wrote...
10 years ago
I am currently writing a report on the advantages and concerns for GM crops.  I often come across concerns of long term health impacts but nothing states what these actually might be.  I know certain of products (eg, cocaine) but not of foods where DNA can get into human DNA to cause mutations which is what I guess the concern is.  Do you know of (with reference if possible) or suspect of any particular disorder that could potentially be linked to eating GM crops?
Read 263 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
GM crops are safe to eat.
wrote...
10 years ago
There are none, so far as we know. People suggest possible negative effects, but none have ever been observed.
wrote...
10 years ago
I'm not sure they've been around for long enough for there to be much information on long-term health effects - if there are any at all.  I doubt there are any problems with eating GM foods.  It seems to me that most of the problems with them are contamination of other (non-GM) crops and monopolisation of seed by a few large manufacturers.  Sounds an interesting topic to research but the next 5 - 10 years will give us much more info on long(-ish) term effects.
wrote...
10 years ago
None directly.  The concerns are what will the GM crops do to the ecosystems associated with the crops.  For instance, the modification of corn to add insect-killing abilities have the potential to wreck havoc on other, more favorable, insects.  Also, DNA can, through various mechanisms, transfer to other plants, adding another level of unpredictability to what can happen long-term.
That's the key word:  Unpredictable.
wrote...
10 years ago
None.  Genetically modified crops are biologically the same as any other crops.  Their DNA is just as digestible as unmodified DNA.
wrote...
10 years ago
All GM crops are is a money spinner as they have removed the gene from crops that allows them to reproduce so at the end of the growing season the farmer will have to keep buying fresh seeds as his seeds will be useless as for them being harmful to our health nobody knows for sure as they are relatively new there will be health risks as there always are when you mess with food stuffs
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  967 People Browsing
 118 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 357